How Can You Avoid Scaffold Related Construction Site Hazards?
24 Jul 2015 in General
Studies reveal that 65% of the workers at construction sites work on scaffolds. It goes without saying that when a worker is engaged at the site of construction, it is quite likely that there might be injuries and accidents. Although scaffolds are arranged so that the workers can reach the highest points of the buildings, yet every year thousands of workers get injured. As such, they have to deal with construction hazards.
Regardless of whether engineers are working with their own scaffolds or with scaffold rental equipments, the manner in which the scaffold has to be constructed is applicable in both the cases. Here is a look –
- One of the best ways to avert injuries and accidents is to have a firm scaffold.
- These temporary structures must be constructed on solid footings. In other words, the platform or the area on which it is being built should be able to take the adequate load. If you are using bricks that are loosely woven or blocks made of concrete, you have to be ready for a mishap that is impending.
- Every scaffold that is constructed must be essentially equipped with toeboards, guardrails, and midrails.
- Most importantly, they must be constructed only under the supervision of an experienced engineer or individual that has extensive experience with handling scaffolds.
- Another most important aspect that you must pay heed to is, that irrespective of the position of the working site, every scaffold must be constructed at a safe distance from electric or power lines. For instance, if you maintain a distance of 10 feet from the power lines, it will be adequate.
- In the event you find that a scaffold rental has any damages in any of its components, ensure replacing it at the earliest . Generally, the following are regarded as the weakened component of any scaffold, namely, screw legs, trusses, legs, braces, and brackets.
- If it is required that the scaffolds will have to be dismantled, shifted elsewhere or changed/altered, by all means the same ought to be done under the careful guidance of an experienced professional.
- Planking in scaffolds is important. It is recommended never to leave scaffold without planks supporting it. As far as maintenance of planks is concerned, make sure there is no paint in it excepting for the platforms.
The main hazard associated with scaffold is falling off from a great height. As such, a so called “fall arrest system” should be opted for along with a guardrail. Most importantly, prior to workers climbing up the construction site, harnesses should be well in place along with lifelines and lanyards.
It has been observed that there are 2 reasons why workers injure themselves. One is due to the fact that the scaffolds are not properly maintained or constructed and the other one is that workers do not take the adequate protection. If both these issues are addressed, there would be fewer instances when workers meet their fatal fate.