Worker’s Comp Lawyer – What Are the Qualities to Look For Before Hiring
25 Jan 2015 in Edu
Worker’s Compensation Law has several clauses that cannot easily be understood by an ordinary man. If you want to find a good lawyer to help you in handling your work injury case, you should look for some important qualities.
What are the qualities to look for in a worker’s compensation lawyer?
- Knowledge and experience in handling workers’ compensation cases – Attorneys with adequate knowledge and experience is a very important quality. How can you know if the attorney is really experienced and knowledgeable? You should ask your friends. You should ask for references. You should check the references. You should not stop to check unless and until you are convinced that the lawyer is really experienced.
- Magnetic personality and good reputation – If you have to file a suit, you should look for a lawyer with a magnetic personality. Juries love lawyers with likeable personality. A lawyer with bad reputation in the legal community is a wrong choice.
- Communication skills to make you feel comfortable – Legal clauses can be confusing. It can be really frustrating when you are not able to understand the legal jargons. An attorney with good communication skills will be able to explain all legal points and will be able to make you comfortable.
- Specific knowledge – Law is so complicated that each and every type of injury is dealt differently. You should look for an attorney with specific knowledge in your type of injury.
- Ratings – Attorneys are rated in websites based on their experience, knowledge, success rate and their publications if any. If you want top rated attorneys you should visit the rating websites.
- Success rate – If you hire a worker’s comp lawyer with a proven success rate you will be guaranteed that you will get the compensation you deserve.
- Youth and vigor – It is true that experienced attorneys are a good option but you should also remember that young lawyers are energetic and have a lot of vigor. They may not be experienced but they will have the desire to win and prove themselves. If you are able to find such an attorney, you should not have any second thoughts.
Where to look for a good worker’s compensation lawyer?
You should ask your friends, colleagues and family. You should search the internet. Look into directory of attorneys. Prepare a shortlist of a few good attorneys. Look for websites. If the attorney has a website, you should read all details. Look if there are any reviews made by past clients? If not, you should ask the attorneys to give referrals of their former clients.
If you are satisfied with an attorney, you should conduct an interview. You should ask questions to know about his knowledge in worker’s compensation, experience and other qualities. You should request for a free consultation. If the work accident lawyer you have chosen inspires confidence, if his or her fees are reasonable and within your budget, you can proceed to hire him or her.